Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Wednesday, August 15, 2018   7:58:09 PM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

Luke  21 : 17
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 15

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

The End The Book Part 6

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

Who are the “Sons of God” in Genesis Chapter 6?
Posted By: Gracemer
6/12/2018 11:46:09 AM

Reverse

Original Commentary Link
3 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Member Comments:
"True or false: God chooses us for salvation. True or false: We choose to receive salvation. If you answered “true” on both counts you deserve a star because both positions are emphasized in the Scriptures."

This topic is of never ending interest to me. Agreed both are true, but every person who chooses salvation only does so because they were first regenerated by God which enabled them to make that choice.

Gen. 6 is another favorite and it seems there is renewed interest in it these days, as there should be. I look forward to reading your next installment.
Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 15149

Posted By: SteveSchmutzer -
Date: 6/12/2018 12:05:26 PM
4 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

I agree with your comments.  While you get more granular with how God "regenerates" us prior to our ability to make a choice, you are essentially saying the same thing: God does His part and we have a choice to make too.  It was a tributary that I did not want to unpack too much further given the larger intent of this article. I appreciate your faithful and supportive comments.   

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 15153

Posted By: Gracemer -
Date: 6/13/2018 10:00:16 AM
Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments: Actually, I'm not saying the same thing.
Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 15155

Date: 6/13/2018 10:50:02 AM
2 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

The Bible teaches that God uses faith to bring salvation. Do we exercise faith apart from God's sovereign election? No. He chooses us for salvation and that is clear in the Bible, and that is why He brings our hearts to a place where we can make that choice.  By the same token, we are also held responsible for choosing salvation - and that is why those who do not make that choice are judged.  As the article says, these appear to be saying two different things, but both are true at the same time. 

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 15160

Posted By: BobbyeKay -
Date: 6/13/2018 9:07:46 PM
1 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments: Your article is a lesson on what it is to be an Evangelical; believing that ALL scripture is divinely inspired Word of God. Thank you for expounding on this!
Can't wait to read Part Two! With this lesson being the set-up for it, I imagine it'll be eye-opening!
Very much enjoying your teaching, Steve. In Christ, BKay
Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 15162

Date: 6/14/2018 10:59:31 AM

Comments: Steve, I'm with you in your first sentence. It's that second one which, to me, sounds like synergism. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I contend that nly the elect, the predestined, receive the irresistable grace necessary to "choose" Christ. It is not given to everyone, only some. God allows some (most) to go their own natural way. I think the most articulate and interesting writing on this topic (after Romans 9) is by Arthur Custance in his book The Sovereignty of Grace. All of it is great readable stuff. Here's a link to Ch. 7 which deals particularly with the topic, but you will be able to access the whole book (rather small) from this link. http://www.custance.org/Library/SOG/Part_VI/Chapter21.html

http://www.custance.org/Library/SOG/Part_VI/Chapter21.html
Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 15164

Date: 6/14/2018 12:21:41 PM

Comments:

Yes - I can appreciate that it causes you that confusion. No, I do not believe in synergism by any stretch of the imagination.  I hold to the view that God's choice of those who would be saved is based on His sovereign will and good pleasure and nothing else.  I believe this is the position best supported in Scripture. That choice is not based on anything we bring to the table or do.  In otherwords, at no point in the eternal perspective did we do anything within ourselves to help or assist our salvation.  It is "a gift of God."  All that being true, what I was also trying to say is those who do not choose salvation will be judged for that, and my larger point was it is not an easy tension between the two points to reconcile.  You may appreciate reading a past article of mine where I think I explained my position on these issues; it's called "Knowing Fear" and it can be found on my website.  Hope that helps.   

Reply # 7 - ReplyTo ID: 15165

Date: 6/14/2018 6:41:41 PM

Comments: Thanks for your response. I'm with you the whole way until you say that those who don't choose will be judged for not choosing. There's where I trip up on your explanation. In a sense, that's true, but my position is that they don't choose because they are unable to choose, not having been preordained to salvation. The ability to choose God is withheld from them. It's not the not choosing that damns them, since no choice is offered to them, but God chooses to let them go their own way without interference. This would be the fate of all mankind without election, and why no man can boast about choosing correctly. I guess I just wanted further clarification. And I should have read your article first, which I'm about to do right now.